Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Psalm 56:3 "Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You."

This past weekend our 4 year old daughter tried surfing for the first time. Standing on the beach, she was all ready to go. She was sun screened, life-jacketed, and wearing a big smile as she set out into the water with Daddy. Admittedly, my heart skipped a beat and I had a moment of panic...but as sudden as the panic came upon me, a still small voice interfered. Stop worrying. So instead of doing as the voice said, I took a deep breath and yelled out to my hubby, "Be careful! You're going out that far?". He smiled at me and then gave me a look as to say, stop worrying. I smiled back. As our daughter lay on the board belly down waiting for the first wave, big smile on her face, I couldn't help but think about how little she was and whether or not she was ready for this. Doubt began to cloud my thinking, but then once again that voice. Fear not. I exhaled and felt guilty for worrying again. I couldn't even go 2 minutes. That's when the perfect wave began to build up. My hubby readied her board and told her what to do and to hold on. 3...2...1...and there she went. With the biggest smile I've ever seen on her face, she glided across the water on that board, water spraying in her face, and the complete feeling of fearlessness sweeping through her. I thought to myself, why can't I be like that? This little child climbed up on a board much bigger than her, went out into water deeper than she can reach, and then allowed herself to be carried at a fast speed towards the shore. She is way more fearless than I am. And to think, I almost let my fear hinder her from being able to enjoy this experience. She jumped off the board, let out a giggle and said, "You see me surf mommy?! I wanna surf again! I wanna surf again!". The voice came to me again. Stop worrying, enjoy this moment. So I did. I breathed in and let the fear out with my exhale. I smiled at her and said, "Good job! Go do it again!". I loved watching her, each time she came in, jumping off her board ready to try again. She even tried to stand up...it was short lived, but she tried. That's what matters. She rolled into the water and under her upside down board at one point...and you know what?...I wasn't even worried. I just moved the board off of her and up she popped, ready to go again. I think my hubby and I enjoyed watching her surf, just about as much as she enjoyed surfing. It's amazing what you miss out on when fear has taken over. I don't want to be like that anymore. This was like an eye opener for me. I want to be like my daughter while she was surfing, free from fear and full of joy. Just trusting in God. Why worry about things I can't control? Why not just enjoy the things God has blessed me with and the moments God wants me to experience? I worry entirely way too much from day to day. I'm done. I just want to live my life as the Lord wants me to. No fear. Just complete trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment