Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

new beginnings

As the last week of summer vacation comes to an end, it marks the beginning of a very big step in my little girl's life...the start of school. Even though I am homeschooling and I will see her everyday, I still can't help but feel like my little baby is growing up. I was sitting amongst a pile of school activity booklets and lesson plans, trying to figure out how it all worked, when she came running in and immediately started grabbing things and telling me what they were for. She would say things like, "This for counting mommy!" or "Look! A B C...that an apple! A for apple!". I was starting to wonder if they had an AP version of this stuff...something that would be challenging to her, but once I started flipping through the work books, it was made clear in about a month or so she will be getting that challenge. She just amazes me with how smart she is. Her brain works like a sponge, she soaks up every little thing I teach her. In the teacher work book it says to spend the first week or numbers learning colors. It says, 'Your student may not know their colors so spend the first week introducing them.'...I was like, "Ah! she knows them better than I do most days...what do I do for the first week?!". It's all good, I figured it out. We will be playing games...with colors...or something along those lines. I'll figure it out. I'm really excited to start this new chapter. I love doing the lesson plans and getting her "classroom" area all set up. I wish we had more time before school started so I could have everything ready before the first day, but unfortunately our paycheck wasn't on schedule with the first day of school...that and I decided at the last minute to start school earlier than planned, since I want her lessons to coincide with the holidays. I will be better prepared next year for sure. I'm praying for a good first day of school and a smooth semester...not just for my daughter, but for everyone going back to school this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment