Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

fiery darts

there has been a lot going on lately. new decisions to make, new opportunities in ministry open to us, our future in the ministry. all of which we are attempting to leave in God's hands rather than wrestling with our own flesh to make things happen by our own power. when we try to do things ourselves, it never works, so why bother, right? well, something i have been noticing lately is that, when we are close to God, being lead by the Holy Spirit, on the path that the Lord has set out for us....we get attacked by the enemy. a lot. little things like being in a grouchy mood for no reason and taking it out on each other. asking questions that shouldn't even come across our lips. looking for reassurance and guidance in things other than the Word. thoughts brought to mind that haven't been there in quite some time. all, to me at least, fiery darts from the enemy...looking for ways to make me stumble in my walk with God. the Lord is doing a great work in my hubby right now, which in turn means he's doing a great work in me right now too. i find myself more willing to serve others...all be it little things here and there, still, i'm not "too tired" or just plain selfish, looking for me time instead. and those small things to me, might be big things to the ones i'm doing them for. i feel the Holy Spirit working in me. making my heart like His. using my hands to help others. ...but i also feel the enemy...trying to cling to what little bit of me he can take hold of, grasping for straws in any way possible. i felt it last night, and when i mentioned it to my hubby, he said he had been feeling the same way. this is when you just have to stop everything and pray.
in Ephesians 6 it reads about putting on the whole armor of God.
"Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench the fiery darts of the wicked one. and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God..."...verses 14-17.
i can't help but imagine myself standing in the middle of an empty field inside of a big giant bulls eye, the enemy shooting these fiery darts straight at me, and then i begin to pray...and all of a sudden this shield appears and as i hold it up, one by one these pathetic attempts to bring me to stumble are put out, quenched, and fall to the ground at my feet. it makes me smile and gives me a sense of peace. ...so many people think that once you give your life to Christ and start living for Him, it means you've got it easy, that 'oh i'm good, smooth sailing from here...' attitude, but it's quite the opposite. when you start walking with the Lord, its like painting a giant bulls eye on your back and saying 'come and get me'...but through the tribulation and suffering comes joy and peace and happiness, because you know that everything is to glorify the Lord. as long as my confidence stays in my Jesus, i am certain that i can handle every fiery dart shot my way. especially during this time when we are, without a doubt, fulling living for the Lord.

on a different note: we finally took the first picture of all four of us together as a family! i love it...hopefully there will be more to come.

blessings from the Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah girl! So glad you are allowing God to use you! My hubby is in seminary and is in full-time ministry, which means we all our! It's such a life dependent on God and so fruitful!

    ReplyDelete